Dear all,

Due to popular demand ALT is repeating the following workshop that
ran earlier this year:

'Bidding and winning: the secrets of successful learning technology
project bids '
Wednesday, 24 January 2007, 09:30 - 15:00
National College of School Leadership (NCSL), Nottingham

"The workshop was without doubt the most valuable one I have ever
attended. The focus was crystal clear, you showed us what works and
what doesn’t and you got us to think. Mark Stiles' input was simply
excellent: you never get a Macro-level picture unless someone like
him shares his experience. Both the other colleagues' input was
appropriate, clearly expressed, well-prepared and will be a great
help in writing real bids, as opposed to talking about it. All of
this means that I can set a clear agenda for my own development and
help my institution to evolve realist targets for me. Money very well
spent.''
~Ian Simpson, St Martin's College

Places are limited so to avoid disappointment please register to
attend asap: http://www.alt.ac.uk/workshop_detail.php?e=228

Further information can be found below.

Kind regards,
Hayley
---
Hayley Willis
ALT Events Administrator
---

Bidding and winning: the secrets of successful learning technology
project bids

Presenter(s):
Jeff Haywood, University of Edinburgh
Seb Schmoller, ALT
Mark Stiles, Staffordshire University

Overview:
Project bids are time-consuming and should not be undertaken lightly;
this workshop will give tips on how to avoid wasted effort and dashed
hopes. Three experienced learning technology project managers, who
have run projects with funds from the JISC and other sources, and who
have judged bids written by others, will share their perspectives on
writing convincing bids for funds.

Topics to be covered:
*When to bid and when not;
*Timescales;
*Getting your team together;
*Partnerships;
*Presenting your bid;
*Learning from failure.

Expected outcomes:
Participants will have a clearer understanding of the real cost of
constructing bids, the choices and pitfalls involved in selecting
partners and constructing bid consortia, the important things to
remember when writing bids, and issues to consider when looking to
create projects intended to have “a life beyond the project”.
After the event the presenters will circulate further resources and
help, covering points raised during the session panel.

Who should attend?
Anyone who plans to bid for funds from national or international
sources for learning technology projects, including project managers,
learning technologists, teachers, lecturers and senior managers.

Cost
The cost includes all refreshments and a three course lunch:
Members of ALT: £150;
Non-members of ALT: £250.

A schedule for the day:

0930 Registration

1000 Welcome and Introduction

1015 Seeing it from the other side: how bids look from the
commissioning organisation’s point of view.

1100 The "do’s" and "dont's" of writing bids

1130 Workshops: Participants split into three parallel groups to
explore three areas in rotation;
a) Project management and risk;
b) Project costing;
c) Making your bid credible: capturing the convincing “winning
essence” of your project in your bid.

1215 Lunch

1300 - 1345 Workshop 2 (themes as above)

1350 - 1435 Workshop 3 (themes as above)

1440 Refreshments and feedback for panel

For more info:
http://www.alt.ac.uk/workshop_detail.php?e=228