Yes, I use a completely separate secretary, privately, for all my medicolegal work.

Exercise facilities for staff?! You must be kidding. I expect they figure we get enough running round our wards and departments all day.

AF

"Dunn Matthew Dr. (RJC) A & E - SwarkHosp-TR" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I agree with the points made earlier: medicolegal or private work is not much of a problem. It should not be done on NHS time other than by explicit agreement (and if a manager is agreeing to any significant amount of it being done on NHS time you have to ask what they are getting in return). One way that may suit is doing it on NHS time with the money going specifically into the department rather than into the hospital in general so you have more control over it. It can be done on NHS premises (usually with payment for use of the facilities), but it's often better to do it off site. Personally I find it easier to do medicolegal work off site with a completely separate secretary. No reason why it can't be done during office hours provided this is in a session that is not devoted to the NHS. I think also the new contract makes it a lot clearer when you are committed to the NHS and when you aren't.

> Perks, such as bonuses for performance.......
> Good quality gyms........
> Lunch breaks perhaps?

We get bonuses for performance in the form of CEAs. Gyms and time to use them during the working day would be useful. There is substantial evidence that a gym break in the course of the day improves working efficiency (usual estimate is a 15% increase in productivity on average; higher in those whose jobs involve decision making) and reduces error rates. This is over and above the effect of reduction of sick leave. In fact it is quite appalling that the NHS is not leading the way on this and providing exercise time and facilities for staff. I can find no conceivable justification for this.

> The latest thing Trusts are starting to get upset about is
> the use of money
> paid for courses. One Trust discovered that people who were
> not faculty were
> going out to dinner and this was being paid for by course fees (public
> money, you know). The Course Director retorted that these
> were partners, and
> this was a way for thanking them for losing faculty members preparing
> material in evenings and losing them at weekends, and so far the Trust
> involved has backed off. But?

It does create some issues. If the meal is for faculty and students only it can be viewed as a working meal. If partners are allowed it isn't and is a taxable benefit.

Matt Dunn
Warwick