Being a bit thick, what do you mean by affiliation?

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Virtual Learning Environments [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Stuart Lee
Sent: 04 September 2006 11:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [VLES] Questions re VLE licences

Dear All,

I wonder if people could assist me with a very short set of questions
re their current VLE and in particular their VLE licence. This is some
background research for a chapter of a forthcoming book on "open
courseware" and any replies will be treated entirely in confidence, and
anonymised if I use any of the data.

In short if you could reply to the following (off-list) that would be
really useful,

With thanks,

Stuart
---------

ALL questions are optional!

1. Name:

2. Affiliation:

3. Position:

4. VLE used at your institution:

5. Is your licence based on number of FTEs (e.g. students and staff)?

If NO - how else is it calculated (if appropriate)?

If YES please give further details:

6. If you wish to expand the number of FTEs using your VLE would this
require a renegotiation of the licence?

Please give further details:

7. Is it easy for you to make content within your VLE available to
people *not* in your institution (e.g. people at other Universities,
the public etc.)?

8. Would opening the VLE up in such a way require a renegotiation of
the licence?

Please give details:

9. Do you often make course content available to everyone *within* your
institution (e.g. to all students), or is it generally limited to only
those students who have elected to take that module?

If you do not is this a policy decision, and/or for technical reasons?

Any other comments would be gratefully received. In particular I am
focusing on whether VLEs (open source or commercial) place barriers in
the way of sharing content across courses, and with the outside world;
and if so whether this is for reasons of internal policy, or whether
the authentication/authorisation systems built into the VLE make this
difficult, or whether it is financially prohibitive due to licensing
issues.

Dr Stuart D Lee, (Acting) Director of the Computing Services, and
Member of the English Faculty, Oxford University Computing  Services,
13 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 6NN