From: "Pickerill, Dr J." <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 1:46 PM
Subject: CFP AAG: Activism, autonomy, and alternatives: Putting theory into
practice and practice into theory

CALL FOR PAPERS

Association of American Geographers Annual Conference, San Francisco, 17th -
21st April 2006

Paper session: Activism, autonomy, and alternatives: Putting theory into
practice and practice into theory

The growing influence of global corporations and international capital over
national government, and the emerging threats of environmental crisis (such
as Peak Oil, climate change), appears to go hand-in-hand with a significant
disenfranchisement and apathy amongst the electorate in western democracies.
When we look beyond formal political arenas, however, we can see that
different spaces of activism are being invented and used by individuals and
collectives (for example, social centres, direct action camps, community
organising).

Yet how do practical attempts to 'do' 'autonomous projects', 'sustainable
development', 'green living', or 'anti-capitalism' connect with the more
abstract ideas that seek to define, and perhaps even motivate, them? How are
utopian visions put into practice and how are the contradictions of daily
living overcome? Through critically reflecting on the experiences of
political projects that seek to offer alternative possibilities to the
capitalist organisation of society, and the conceptual ideas that underpin
them, this session seeks to create a constructive dialogue between theory
and practice which can help to better understand and implement alternative
politics in the contemporary world.

Thus just some of the questions we are asking include: How self-legislating
must you be to be 'autonomous'? How green is a 'real' environmentalist? How
anti-capital are anti-capitalists? What is 'good enough'? How should we
consider the relations and importance of outcome vis-à-vis process? Theory
and practice? Attempt and success? Multiplicity and integrity? Overall, how
can we understand conceptual ideas such as 'autonomy' and 'green living' as
relations rather than
ultimate goals, acknowledging their unobtainability while retaining their
power as utopian stimuli?

We would be interested in papers which critically reflect upon activist
practices, experiments and spaces of resistance.

If you would be interested in participating in this paper session, please
send a short abstract (no longer than 250 words) to the organisers by 13th
October 2006.

Organisers:
Jon Anderson, School of City and Regional Planning, Cardiff University, UK
Jenny Pickerill, Department of Geography, Leicester University, UK

-------------------------------
Dr Jenny Pickerill
Lecturer in Human Geography

Department of Geography