Alison,

> Well it's not so much about connection, I guess, but principle.

Yes, I realised that.  Apologies for the tone of my last email.  I got quite
angry at the thought that TB might be given credit where it wasn't due.

In
> this case, it's hard to see what kind of real threat David Hicks
> poses, a messed up ill-educated boy from Adelaide who found in Islam
> some kind of desired certainty and then ended up in the wrong place at
> the wrong time, sold to the US by Northern Alliance ... but right or
> wrong, it's hard not to feel the injustice of what is happening to
> him.

It creates an illusion of control for the Bush administration though doesn't
it?   If those being held illegally were to stand trial then it would become
very obvious that they are not monsters but foot soldiers who happened to be
on the 'wrong' side.  If they were to stand trial it would become very clear
that they are not crazed Hannibal Lecter style geniuses that required
shackling and subduing but a typical mix of soldiers, some committed to the
cause, others interested in shooting people, some educated, some not.  The
purpose of Camp Delta would then be revealed to many more people as the
political prop that it is.

A convicted mass murderer has more rights than he has, and he has
> not been charged with any crime. And if you think TB is in lockstep,
> take a moment to watch our own PM, who has sold us well and truly down
> the river, economically, politically and environmentally.

I'm very interested to see what TB does next year after he steps down.  My
suspicion is that his family will decamp to the US and he'll go onto the
speaking circuit - there are probably dates already pencilled into his
diary.  I'm sure that whatever happens he will be in great demand and become
an extremely wealthy man.  What price for a soul eh?

> That aside, I admired this piece of theatre for its focus on the
> context, the way it showed how language as much as bodies are
> tortured. Not to say its breathtaking (if sometimes horrifying)
> beauty. Over the past few years, some of the theatre I have loathed
> most heartily is the banal left wing complacent documentary theatre
> that is de rigeur. This was something else.

It sounds excellent.  I followed the links you suggested and enjoyed reading
the articles/blogs.

Thank you

Tina