The rood screen at St Levan in Cornwall again.

One of the twelve surviving panels (there would originally have been
fifteen) has a manticore in the place used in all the others for either an
Instrument of the Passion or those mysterious 'nails' which may be letters  spelling
'IHS' (see the July archives) -- and the capital A.  At least I  think it is a
manticore:  man's face, lion's body, angel's wings, strange  tail, splayed rear
legs...

There are lots of wyverns (as y'all were good enough to teach me) on the
decorative upper parts of the panels, but what is a manticore doing in the
business part of the screen?

Susan

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]