From: Dave Newbold [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 14 September 2006 09:22
To: Jensen, J (Jens)
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: storage units

Hi,

Tell me about it - I spend some time yesterday introducing a field
called "which factor of 1000 are we using today" into various
planning spreadsheets.

Can everyone not just give the numbers in bytes?

In practice, we should use 2^30 bytes as the 'base unit' of storage,
and scale from that. In the same way we don't use Avagadro's number
much when buying vegetables.

Ho hum.

   Dave

PS: Nobody tell the PHB's about the horribly mixed factors of ten,
eight and two we use every time we talk about network bandwidth -
some weeks of discussion could ensue.