Freie Universität Berlin invites applications in its FU-BEST (Berlin European Studies) program for Spring 2007 and beyond.

We are pleased to announce several new courses in our growing academic menu:

“Contemporary German and European Cinema”

“Theatermetropole Berlin: Vergangenheit & Gegenwart” (taught in German)

“Architecture in Berlin from the 19th Century to Today”

“Jewish Legacies in Germany and Central Europe

For full details on these and all our other courses as well as other features of the program, please visit our website at www.fu-berlin.de/fubest and click on the many links to all the information and documents (including course syllabi). The revised application form will be available at our website by mid-September 2006. The application/scholarship deadline for participation in the Spring 2007 semester is October 15. Those applying only for admission but not for a scholarship should note the deadline of October 1. The application deadlines for the Fall 2007 semester are March 31 (admission plus scholarship) and May 1 (admission only).

This program seeks to provide especially North American colleges and universities a high-quality program in one of Europe's most dynamic and fascinating cities, with a blend of enclave and direct-enrolment characteristics at no financial risk to the sending institution. Some colleges or universities committed to sending regular contingents of participants to the FU-BEST program may over time come to enjoy the benefits of more intensive consultation as well as shared planning and program development with the FU and the FU-BEST staff.

Hosted, designed, and run by one of Germany's most internationally oriented universities, the FU-BEST program is based on the North American academic calendar, featuring Fall and Spring semesters, and is open to all qualified degree and non-degree students. It primarily targets interested undergraduates, but graduate students who wish to obtain FU-BEST credits are welcome as well.

All participants are required to enrol in 6-8 credits of intensive German language training in order to enhance their linguistic immersion experience. An additional menu of courses taught mostly in English, with selected FU students also attending in some cases, enables students to develop a comprehensive understanding of historical as well as contemporary developments in Germany and Europe at large. The courses are drawn from disciplines ranging from history, political science, philosophy, German Studies, and sociology to European Studies, art history, cinema studies, theater studies, architecture, and comparative literature. Students who develop (or who already have) sufficient language skills also have the option of enrolling in the FU's regular Sommersemester (April-July) as an add-on experience after the Fall-Spring academic year.

Local and off-site field-trips are part of the program, along with a series of cultural events. Participants opt to live with host-families or in fully furnished, single-occupancy studio apartments.

With best regards,

Dr. Dirk Verheyen

Academic Director

FU-BEST Program