http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/einstein/genius/
"Genius Among Geniuses" by Thomas Levenson
"And then, in June, Einstein completes special relativity, which adds a
twist to the story: Einstein's March paper treated light as particles, but
special relativity sees light as a continuous field of waves. Alice's Red
Queen can accept many impossible things before breakfast, but it takes a
supremely confident mind to do so. Einstein, age 26, sees light as wave and
particle, picking the attribute he needs to confront each problem in turn.
Now that's tough."

The genius among geniuses at the end of his career:
"I consider it quite possible that physics cannot be based on the field
concept,i.e., on continuous structures. In that case, nothing remains of my
entire castle in the air, gravitation theory included, [and of] the rest of
modern physics."

Pentcho Valev