Dear Nick and Friends,
Nick sent an email 9/19 stating in part
On the 17th May 2006 I sent an email to the (first) list suggesting that we had two tasks before us: (A) to work out what kind of academic inquiry can
best seek and promote wisdom, and (B) to get across to academics and non-academics alike that there is an urgent need to transform academia so
that it takes up its proper task of pursuing wisdom. I would like to suggest that contributions to (A) should begin with what is set out on our
website on the Home page, and on the pages Basic Argument, What Went Wrong? and What Needs to Change. We have, so far, not made much headway with (B). Suggestions would be very welcome.
It seems to me that for (B) a journal or at least publications, conferences, prominent books will be useful. Martin Seligman and positive psychology provide one quite successful model. This may take a little time, but there are plenty of sympathetic academics and the moment is propitious. Seligman launched positive psychology with a conference to which "senior level academics" were invited. I get the impression he didn’t want to take any chances that pospsy would end up like humanistic psychology, he wanted to see that Department chairs were on board. To transform academia we will need the support of people such as that. Also, noted Sufi scholar Seyyed Hossein Nasr’s journal Sophia and the related <www.worldwisdom.com> are worth being aware of.

There are two ideas regarding (A) I’d like to contribute. Any comments are welcome, and assistance very welcome. Before stating these ideas, I agree with Karl and several other respondents that a conference would be valuable. Some groundwork needs to be done regarding the purpose of the conference—it seems to me that an ideal agenda would be strategizing ways to develop academic inquiry that best seeks and promotes wisdom, and publicizing the need for transforming academia to prioritize wisdom. A book could result from selected presentations. I will help in any way I can with the organization of a conference.

First, does anyone else feel the need for a history of wisdom? There has never been such a work. It seems to me that a history of wisdom, both scholarly and readable for the general educated public, would be greatly successful, a great way to promote the cause of wisdom. Since the word wisdom tends to amorphousness, it seems essential to arrive at clarity regarding what is meant by the term if wisdom is to have a flourishing future. Of course it is a broad, dynamic, and evolving concept. Arriving at a definition based on an historical method would encompass all meanings wisdom has been given, and would provide the strongest empiric justification for conceptualization. Not the only way to go about it, but at some point essential.

I’ve been invited to revise my dissertation for publishing, and in this work will detail what this historic method involves. If anyone is interested, I will be very happy to correspond with you online or off about the history of wisdom and an historic method. I certainly can use all the help possible. I have begun a History of Wisdom in the West, and would love advisors, collaborators, or even to assist someone else who is more qualified to take the lead in this project. The dissertation is online at <www.cop.com/TheScientificApproachtoWisdom.doc>, thanks to Friend of Wisdom Cop MacDonald. It would be wonderful to teach a course on the history of wisdom: if any of you have an opening in your Philosophy Dept for such a course, I will travel, and also teach basic Philosophy or Human Development courses.

The other idea is a research-based program for cultivating wisdom. It appears that "there has yet to be an intervention program designed to increase wisdom-related knowledge during adulthood" (Jordan, Jennifer. 2005. "The Quest for Wisdom in Adulthood." In Robert J. Sternberg, and Jennifer Jordan, Eds., A Handbook of Wisdom: Psychological Perspectives. NY: Cambridge UP, pp. 160-188, at 184). Last week I began facilitating a course for adults over 50 on "Wisdom as Skill." There is an accompanying text. If anyone is interested in this, I’ll send it to you as an MS Word attachment, or mail you a copy of the book for the cost of printing.

Wisdom is a powerful concept. There is a desperate need for wisdom today. Perhaps we can help bring about a world that prioritizes wisdom.

Best regards to all,
Richard