Apologies for cross-posting ....

CALL FOR PAPERS FOR A SPECIAL ISSUE OF GENDER, WORK AND ORGANIZATION

Judith Butler and Organization Theory

Special Issue Editors: Janet Borgerson (University of Exeter), Karen Dale (University of Leicester) and Melissa Tyler (Loughborough University).

Although often critical of legitimating institutions, Judith Butler's thought-provoking work has rarely discussed organizational issues per se, yet engaging her insights and concepts in the analysis of work and organization can often be productive and inspiring, whether one ultimately agrees with her or not (Borgerson, 2005). Key themes in Butler's writing - including her theory of performativity, her critique of the 'heterosexual matrix', her analysis of the materialization of gender and her recent emphasis on the politics of 'undoing gender' (Butler, 2004) - all have important and provocative implications for the ways in which we think about, and engage with, organizations.

Often thought of as one of the founders of queer theory, Butler is perhaps best known for her book Gender Trouble (Butler, 1990/2000), premised upon a performative ontology of gender. Here, and elsewhere, her work draws on and develops insights from post-structuralism, phenomenology, feminist theory, existentialism, anthropology, literary theory and psychoanalysis. Yet important though her emphasis on gender performativity is for our thinking about gender and work, a preoccupation with this particular theme has tended to overshadow other aspects of her writing, particularly her commitment to phenomenology, and to a critical analysis of the materialization of gender. With this in mind, we invite participants to use this special issue as an opportunity to engage with the full implications of Butler's writing for the ways in which we make sense of, and enact, gender, organization and work.

Please contact the guest editors if you wish to discuss an idea or proposal for a paper: email Janet on [log in to unmask] , Karen on [log in to unmask]  or Melissa on [log in to unmask] . Abstracts or outline proposals should be sent to the editors by 31st October 2006 and complete papers (not under review elsewhere) should be emailed to all three editors by 31st March 2007. Please also copy final submissions to the editorial assistant Annie Dempsey ([log in to unmask] ). Final papers should be formatted according to the submission guidelines for the journal. For full details, please consult the Gender, Work and Organization website http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0968-6673&site=1

Melissa Tyler
Lecturer in Organization Studies
The Business School
Loughborough University