From: DCMI Accessibility Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Liddy Nevile
Sent: 22 September 2006 04:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: DC 2006 Accessibility Session Agenda and News

The DC 2006 conference will take place shortly in Mexico. The Working
Group has been collaborating for several years in an effort to
determine a standard way to describe the accessibility
characteristics of resources and users' accessibility needs and
preferences. This work has achieved a major goal that has led to the
finalisation of the ISO IEC JTC1 SC36 AccessForAll standard framework
and parts 1, 2 and 3, for education. These will be published in final
form some time in 2007.

The ISO standard started with the accessibility aspects of digital
resources but is moving now to include ways of describing the
accessibility aspects of events and places, non-digital resources and
also to determine how to describe linguistic and cultural
requirements and matching resource characteristics.

Given the new standard, it is time for the DC Accessibility WG to
finalise its work on an application profile for resource
accessibility (not just in education). This work involves adapting
the ISO standard for expression in DC compliant form in a DC
Application Profile. It also means an Application Profile for user's
individual needs and preferences that should also be expressed in DC
compliant form..

The work planned for the Mexico meeting is, therefore, to provide a
forum for discussion of the DC version of AccessForAll and the
proposed application profile. There is already a collection of
material available on the DC wiki (http://dublincore.org/
accessibilitywiki) and some notes on the WG website (http://
dublincore.org/groups/access/). The session will be held 16.30 -
18.30 on October 5 (Manzanillo local time and date). It should be
noted that this will be early on Oct 6 in Australia and other
countries in the Asian region.

When possible, anyone interested in this work can participate
remotely, so we will try to make the session to be held in Mexico
inclusive to those who wish to join us (details will be posted on the
wiki closer to the event but please let me know if you are
interested). We will use the wiki during the session so please look
to it for notes, other information, and a place where you can
contribute (see http://dublincore.org/accessibilitywiki/
AccessForAllSession).

Liddy