Dear All,

I have been following the school geography thread with great interest. Andrew is right – the Action Plan is designed to address some of the issues raised.

It will make a bit of a difference because it provides some capacity and opportunity to raise the profile of geography in schools, support teachers in that really demanding and creative work that we call ‘curriculum making’, provide fresh new ways of using/exploring/enjoying geography with students (from 5 -19 years)…. (read more on www.geography.org.uk/apg )

It also provides the circumstances in which we can refresh conceptual frameworks for school geography – driven by a strong sense of purpose and educational goals. And a vision on how geography may develop from early years to A-level, rather than be the same dish served up in slightly different ways.

All this is based on careful analysis on how we got here – it is complicated, but a key element is how geography has been marginalized in recent years – ever since the government of the day bureaucratised the curriculum and set out its ‘contents’ for teachers.. er, to ‘deliver’. What we want is for geography teachers to get encouragement and support to re-engage with the subject and use it, brilliantly, to excite and engage young people in enjoyable, worthwhile and relevant enquiry. The USP for us is that geography is the school subject that tries to keep things whole (interdependence, connectedness…). It helps us see and understand the ‘big picture’ in real places. It helps us think about the future more intelligently.

The GA is very keen to maintain and develop links of the kind being discussed – at meetings (many teachers cannot get out of school easily), in professional Journals etc. It is essential that teachers engage with Teaching, Learning and THE SUBJECT. It is he last of these that has fallen off the end, for the moment. But things are changing.

I would be happy to share wider GA plans and activities if anyone is interested.

Dr David Lambert

Direct line: 07980951182

The GA supports teacher led curriculum development

www.geography.org.uk