I spoke, some time ago to David Lambert, CEO of the Geographical Association, who expressed the need to make geography compelling at GCSE level. Sadly, however, whilst many children can be 'turned on' to geography at this stage, many can also be turned off it in primary and prep school where it can also, sometimes, be poorly taught. Good material, both written and in terms of television broadcasts, under the rubric of geography, are needed to lift the profile of the discipline. Of course there are some good examples available, but we could do with more. It is not the time to look down the nose at colleagues appealing to the popular market, but rather to share our enthusiasm for our discipline.

Dr Andrew Lee FRGS
Head of Geography

Westminster Under School
Adrian House