----- Original Message -----
From: Save our World
To: Guardian Letters
Cc: Jim Scott
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 4:39 PM
Subject: INTENTION & ACTION ON CLIMATE CHANGE

Thursday 21 September 2006
The Editor,

The Guardian,

Sir,

Intention and action on climate change

While being totally convinced by George Monbiot's arguments for grounding most of the aeroplanes flying today ('On the flight path to global meltdown' 21 September), I question his assumption about connecting intention and action on doing something about it. He maintains 'there seems to be no connection', but this must be erroneous. For not only does all action follow from intention, but the key to taking action on climate change must be to change intention - for real.

What Monbiot actually points to is half-hearted intention, or kidding oneself about one's real intention. It requires deeper insight than he gives it. Even his quotation from a Buddhist: "It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do it with love" has a deeper meaning than he draws from it. For if you really love and value someone, something, or the world, you will ensure that what you do does not harm the object of your love and value.

Behind actions lie progressively: intentions, attitudes, motivations, priorities and values. The key to changing behaviour on climate change, as with all the other crises in the world, goes right back to values.

This is why our rallying call on climate change in Save our World is to "Value Life Itself above ALL Else !!!". Otherwise we will all lose it.

Yours faithfully,

Jim Scott, Chairperson, SAVE OUR WORLD

14 Richborne Terrace, London SW8 1AU
020 7640 0492 & 07717 221617

Sign up on-line to VALUE LIFE ITSELF ABOVE ALL ELSE !!!
and support the
NEW MOVEMENT FOR SURVIVAL
Global site: www.save-our-world.net, Challenge page