From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul@home
Sent: 28 September 2006 09:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] Future meetings and conferences for the community psychology network

My view?

Too many meetings.

I couldn't attend Great Yarmouth because of a combination of lack of money and lack of time.

For some reason we seem to be  having conferences every year. The European Association of Community Psychology are doing the same. Why? Is the amount of time and money it takes to organise such events and the time and money it takes to attend actually paying off for us? I am sorry to be brutal, but my impression of conferences, including community psychological ones, is that a lot of delegates spend a lot of their time shopping and sight-seeing and relatively little time actually attending talks. Certainly most conferences I have attended have tended to haemorrhage delegates in this way shortly after the ubiquitous keynote that follows registration. At times it almost feels that conference organisers make it easier for us to disappear in this way by using parallel session as the back bone of the conference timetable. I have heard wonderful things about the conference in Gt Yarmouth and the team there must have done a wonderful job, but I am not wholly convinved that conferences are adequate vehicles to carry our aspirations for a socially just world, at least I don't think they are improved simply by increasing their occurrence.

If we start organising events once every six months I think that the only people we will regularly attract are long distance lorry drivers with a passing interest in cp and a small group of people who have the money and the time (the resource rich) to merrrily chug around the country having hug-athons with their similarly richly resourced friends. My fear is that we will appear smaller and smaller in number as members have to try and cherry pick which of the plethora of community psychology conferences being run that year they are able to attend and we end up spreading ourselves thinly. My finances and employment situation means that I am lucky if I can attend one or two conferences a year. Maybe others are more fortunate than me, I know that many, many are less.

If we really had that much to talk about, wouldn't the cpuk list be buzzing more than it is? Are we at risk of having more conferences than contributions to the list? Indeed, the list might just become the publicity arm of our conference machine broken up only occasionally by spammers selling us haemaroid creams.

I am not against the idea of conferencing (I actually prefer the word gathering [or Ceilidh, as it used to be known in Scotland]). I also do like the idea of regular regional meetings (I believe these do happen in some places). I woudl prefer to stay local but to have a biennial uk conference where we coudl get together and collectively seek to make our work impact at a national and internation level.

There is an old saying that psychologists respond to a crisis with a seminar. Do we want that to be said of us?

Paul Duckett
Division of Psychology and Social Change
Manchester Metropolitan University
England
Phone +44 161 247 2552
Fax +44 161 247 6364