Hi!

I am writing to inform you all that there will be a session on religion and popular music/religion and popular culture at the international sociology of religion conference in Leipzig, Germany next summer (July 23-27). Deadline for abstract is October 15th. Abstracts should be sent to me at [log in to unmask]

More info on the conference at:

http://soc.kuleuven.be/ceso/sisr/eng/conference/index.htm

The original cfp:

"The study of religion and popular music involves research on the use of popular music within institutional religion as well as religious aspects of mainstream popular music. Pop music is used as a means for evangelization as well as entertainment for one's own religious group within several religious traditions. One can also find religious content, forms and functions within mainstream popular music. Our session invites papers on both these aspects, and on the issues of the boundary of "sacred" and "profane" within popular music. The research can from the perspective of sociology of religion be seen as attending to the central issue of this discipline: the relation of religious tradition to contemporary society."

I have decided that this session will welcome papers on religion and popular culture in genereal, as there will be no other sessions on this broader topic at the conference.

Please forward this info to any lists or people that you think may be interested!

Andreas Häger

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

This incoming email to UWE has been independently scanned for viruses and any virus detected has been removed using McAfee anti-virus software

This email has been independently scanned for viruses and any virus software has been removed using McAfee anti-virus software