I'm sure the energising/clarification process would work both ways...!

-----Original Message-----
From: A forum for critical and radical geographers
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of jon swords
Sent: 05 September 2006 13:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: School Geography

Perhaps geography departments could organise  mini conferences for geography

teachers in the local area. University staff could do short presentations on

their own research - it might re-energise teachers who have been away from
academia for many years and give them the answers to pupils who ask what
geography is about in the 21st Century.

Jon

>From: Steve Cummins <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: School Geography
>Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:41:54 +0100
>
>Hi
>
>As I am completely ignorant about this issue I was wondering if there was a

>formal continuing professional development programme for geography teachers

>in schools. Do school teachers reconnect with academic geography regularly
>or is it an informal practice? If they don't maybe this could be
>key..helping teachers make geography 'public'.
>
>Steve
>
>PS Just reading Johnston's new piece on TIBG. Relevant for this debate I
>think!
>
>Andrew Lee wrote:
>>I spoke, some time ago to David Lambert, CEO of the Geographical
>>Association, who expressed the need to make geography compelling at GCSE
>>level. Sadly, however, whilst many children can be 'turned on' to
>>geography at this stage, many can also be turned off it in primary and
>>prep school where it can also, sometimes, be poorly taught. Good material,

>>both written and in terms of television broadcasts, under the rubric of
>>geography, are needed to lift the profile of the discipline. Of course
>>there are some good examples available, but we could do with more. It is
>>not the time to look down the nose at colleagues appealing to the popular
>>market, but rather to share our enthusiasm for our discipline.
>>
>>=============================
>>Dr Andrew Lee FRGS
>>Head of Geography
>>
>>Westminster Under School
>>Adrian House
>>Vincent Square
>>London SW1P 2NN
>>

>--
>Steven Cummins MSc PhD
>MRC Fellow
>Department of Geography
>Queen Mary, University of London
>Mile End Road
>London E1 4NS
>
>T: 44 020 7882 7653
>F: 44 020 8981 6276
>E: [log in to unmask]
>
>W: http://www.geog.qmul.ac.uk/staff/cummins.html

content by the NorMAN MailScanner Service and is believed
to be clean.

The NorMAN MailScanner Service is operated by Information
Systems and Services, Newcastle University.

====
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.