From: Hammond, Andrew [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 04 August 2006 15:31
To: [log in to unmask]; Yorkshire Museum; Andrew Morrison; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cultural Diversity Advice

[Could you please pass this on to curators/ other curators to whom you think it is applicable, thanks]

Dear Sir/ Madam,
Hi there, just to introduce myself I am a student working with the Riverside Museum Project Team in Glasgow and my brief is to produce a checklist and a report to ensure 'cultural diversity' issues are taken into consideration by individual curators working on displays/ exhibitions for the forthcoming Riverside Museum in Glasgow, Scotland*.  This could be making sure curators are aware of how the 'institutional voice' or unwittingly insensitive Euro-centric language could be potentially patronizing or offensive, or helping them think of any implicit links to ethnic minorities in their displays/ exhibitions, thereby ensuring they are more reflective of society as a whole.

At present I am contacting museums professionals with practical experience to see how they have approached these issues**.  Is there any advice you could offer the Riverside curators to ensure the exhibitions in the forthcoming Riverside Museum have some applicability to and are culturally aware of/ sensitive towards the diverse audience that shall view them?

I would be deeply appreciative if you could respond to the questions on the attached questionnaire which fall under the rubric: - Are there any lessons you or the organization you work for have learned in regards to cultural diversity that you could pass on to the Riverside Team and to it's individual curators?

Thanks for any help you may have been able to offer,

Andrew Hammond
<<Cultural Diversity Questionnaire.doc>>
* The Riverside Museum is a £60 million pound plus project that shall house Glasgow's internationally important transport collection and will also allow for the first time the proper interpretation of Glasgow's important maritime history as the world's former preeminent shipbuilding center.

<http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/venue/showProject.cfm?venueid=7&itemid=33>

** I understand that some questions may be more valid for some individuals and museums than for others but any response will, as mentioned before, be greatly appreciated.

Support Scotland's Bid to host the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow - visit www.glasgow2014.com

Disclaimer:
This message is intended only for use of the addressee. If this message
was sent to you in error, please notify the sender and delete this message.
Glasgow City Council cannot accept responsibility for viruses, so please
scan attachments. Views expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect
those of the Council who will not necessarily be bound by its contents.

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST