On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Norman Gray wrote:

> On 2006 Aug 23 , at 01.15, Brad Cavanagh wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Brad Cavanagh wrote:
> >
> > >I've looked at this error's entry in SSN/78, and I don't have any of the
> > >FC, F77 or CC environment variables set, nor are they set in my
> > >config.site. I don't see any environment variables that are set that would
> > >affect the compiler. I've even tried this with a fresh checkout.
> >
> >Huh. I guess it was a problem with not setting FC. If I set it to
> >/usr/bin/g77, POLPACK builds fine. libtool confusions between g95 and g77?
>
> If I recall correctly, the remarks about this in SSN/78 say little more than
> `no, you're not mad; I don't know what it means either; are your FC variables
> correct?'.  This does seem to have gestured you towards the solution, but more
> explicit guidance would probably be good.  Can you think of any text for this
> part that might be clearer?  Or any index entries that might lead you to this
> part more quickly?

We have kicked the tyres on this one several times. The simple recipe is
that if the autoconf system wants to use a Fortran 95 compiler then you
must set the environment variable F77 to match it.

(the underlying reason being that libtool only uses the old-style
F77/Fortran support, so prefers different compilers).