On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Mark Taylor wrote:

> I'll take an initial look at this, though I don't know yet whether
> I'll have the time to do it properly.

Okay. We can't ask for more than that.

> Question: what format makes most sense for exchange of spectra between
> GAIA and SPLAT?  I suppose either a 1-D FITS image or a table
> (FITS or ASCII) - in the latter case there have to be some implicit
> assumptions or explicit information about which columns mean what.
> If it's going to be a PLASTIC message it would be best to use a
> format with well-defined syntax and semantics, so 1-D FITS may be

I would imagine FITS would be best - in most cases we will have a spectral
header that can be fully Paper III compliant (note that in some cases I
will be making GAIA display a time series so headers are a bit of a
problem there - a table of time + value would be better then).

> best.  Although there are existing tools (VO-Spec) which exchange
> spectra over PLASTIC I'm not totally certain they're doing it in
> a way which is most sensible for these purposes.

Any chance that you can ping the plastic people to find out what VO-Spec
does?

--
Tim Jenness
JAC software