"insect-rich; gymnasium for squirrel / acrobatics"

that's the best part; I found the rest rather flat. the ending would
be better (because it would be less obvious) without "and one day".
I can sympathise though. I've witnessed the felling of about six trees
from our garden, each time it left me slightly miserable (I wrote a
quite decent poem about the last time, a number of months ago). we've
sold off about half of our considerable-looking territory in the past
year, & only today I saw that many of the trees on the 'old [i.e.
sold] side' had light red ribbons tied around them, scheduling them
for felling. it reminded -- still reminds -- me very strongly of the
way criminals were blindfolded before being executed. I'm going to use
that in a poem soon, I'm sure. :)
I share your love for trees, for natural surroundings in general (not
only organic; city paraphernalia can be very natural; even Natural).
I'm reminded of a WCW poem:

YOUNG SYCAMORE

I must tell you
this young tree