----- Original Message -----
From: "MJ Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 8:29 AM
Subject: Re: "Innocence"

> Very interesting, Fred - I haven't read H. but am now tempted to try, and
> as far as graphic novels are concerned have only recently started reading
> Gaiman's Lord Morpheus series. Recommendations, please. Nor have I ever
> read a word by Steve Erickson - which one do you recommend to start with?
> There a very charming interview here that I just googled-

Thanks for the interview, Martin -- Erickson has a cult following but does
not get nearly enough press.  Tours of the Black Clock is my favorite also.
It presents the 20th century as a board game, which one can enter at any
point, move back and forth, and create alternate outcomes - in which, say,
Venice is covered with blue plastic tarp, or the Wehrmacht procures
Colombian virgins for a drooling Hitler's lust.  The style is such that
saying this gives nothing whatever away.  Arc d'X is also very great.  I
can't remember The Sea Came In At Midnight, only that it impressed me while
I was reading it.  E is as far as I know the only working Surrealist
novelist in English.  I keep thinking of the 1930s paintings of the
Englishman Paul Nash - esp. his image of a sea invading a room, becoming a
room.  The new one, Our Ecstatic Days, also uses this, and is intensely
focused and almost unbearably poignant.  Not linear prose - dream logic,
sometimes connecting with a vast collective dream.  It sucks you down rather
than allowing you to read it, and many readers I think shy away from it.
His great "subject" is Los Angeles, which invites, even requires, this sort
of treatment.