From: Al Magary <[log in to unmask]>

> In popular iconography in the 20th century, like comic strips, it's long
been common to depict the dead or unconscious with tongue lolling and eyes
either closed or with little X's.  I wonder if this was continuous development
from medieval times or before.

surely.

the eyes, in particular, have always been recognized as the primary Seat of
Ju-Ju in images, and scratching (X-ing) them out is the easiest and most
effective way to emasculate them.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]