On Tuesday, August 29, 2006, at 6:09 pm, when writing about the church
of Santa Sabina at San Benedetto dei Marsi (AQ) in Abruzzo, I copied an
older inaccuracy that should have been caught but wasn't.  A less
misleading statement would be:

Throughout the Middle Ages this was the cathedral church of the diocese
of the Marsi (since 1986, diocese of Avezzano).  It was the seat of St.
Berard, bishop of the Marsi (d. 1130) and the first ecclesiastical home
of his younger contemporary and biographer, John of Segni.  Badly
damaged in the conflict between the papacy and Frederick II, this Santa
Sabina was rebuilt for the visit in 1287 of Honorius IV but was again in
poor condition when the diocesan seat was transferred to Pescina late in
the sixteenth century.  Most of what remained was destroyed by the
earthquake of 1915.

Best again,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]