On Sunday, August 27, 2006, at 10:37 pm, Paul Chandler wrote:

> Thanks especially for drawing attention to the very fine
> online encyclopedia of philosophy from Stanford, which I had not known
> about. Mendelson's through and dense but clear and illuminating
> entry on Augustine is a marvel, a model of the brilliant encyclopedia
> entry.

You're very welcome.  The _Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy_
http://plato.stanford.edu/index.html
combines scholarly excellence with a commitment both to keeping its
entries current and to making them available without charge on the Web
(which latter it hopes to achieve for the indefinite future by raising
a large endowment now).  There are already entries on a fair number of
medieval thinkers, to say nothing of medievally pertinent ancients such
as Augustine.  See the Table of Contents:
http://plato.stanford.edu/contents.html#a

And now for some visuals pertaining to Augustine.

Remains of A.'s basilica at Hippo Regius:
http://tinyurl.com/sysyh

A. in a wall painting (sixth-century) in the Lateran Palace, Rome:
http://tinyurl.com/h6zao

A. in a mosaic (twelfth- or perhaps early thirteenth-century) in the
Cappella Palatina at Palermo:
http://www.augustinus.it/iconografia/immagini/augustinus_009.jpg

The late thirteenth-century church of Sant'Agostino at San Gimignano
(SI) in Tuscany:
Aerial view:
http://www.wga.hu/art/g/gozzoli/4gimigna/0view.jpg
Note the location on a promontory on the edge of the old city.  Naples'
contemporary Sant'Agostino alla Zecca is similarly situated.
Other views:
http://www.sangimignano.com/sgago1.jpg
http://www.hotelcisterna.it/img/santagostino2.jpg
http://www.hotelcisterna.it/img/santagostino.jpg

Views of A.'s fourteenth-century tomb in the Basilica di San Pietro in
Ciel d'Oro at Pavia (PV) in Lombardy:
http://www.augustinus.it/iconografia/immagini/augustinus_204.jpg
http://web.tiscali.it/ghirardacci/bellandi/SAgostino_Arca.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/dmk3e
Website on the tomb:
http://tinyurl.com/lthau
Courtauld images:
http://tinyurl.com/kan8e
In 1842 an elbow from A.'s relics contained therein was brought from
Pavia to today's Annaba (medieval Bo^ne, ancient Hippo Regius) in
Tunisia for the building/consecration of A.'s modern basilica there.
Expandable views of the relic and of related modern artifacts, put on
display for an international conference in 2001, are here:
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jod/algeria/relics.html

Benozzo Gozzoli's fresco cycle (1464-65) of scenes from the life of A.,
in San Gimignano's Chiesa di Sant'Agostino:
Context in the church:
http://tinyurl.com/hbrc8
http://www.wga.hu/art/g/gozzoli/4gimigna/1view.jpg
Scheme of the cycle:
http://www.wga.hu/art/g/gozzoli/4gimigna/2scheme.jpg
Expandable views of the frescoes:
http://tinyurl.com/j6om4

Carlo Crivelli, Jerome and A. (1490), Gallerie dell'Accademia, Venice:
http://www.bramarte.it/400/img/cri5.jpg
Note the demon, also present in the thirteenth-century miniature from
Pierpont Morgan Library, ms. M. 92, shown here:
http://www.princeton.edu/~heresy/

Best again,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]