On Sunday, August 20, 2006, at 5:56 pm, Brenda Cook wrote:

> and his death date was
> > inscribed, presumably from local records, as 20. August 1118
> (thought to
> > have been an error for 1181) on a pilaster in the cathedral of Conza
> > that was destroyed by the earthquakes of 1694 and 1732 (as
> opposed to
> > its eighteentn-century replacement that collapsed in the great Conza
> > earthquake of 1980).
>
> What date is the carving of the inscription ?
> I have a problem with  MCXVIII being as error for MCLXXXI

The inscription (which might really have been only a painted legend --
"inscribed" could be my faulty memory at work or my source could have
been using the term loosely) is long gone.  The sole source for it (if I
remember correctly from my reading of a few years ago) is an
eighteenth-century antiquary's report of what he saw.  My knowledge of
that report is second-hand.  Because the dates in question, when
expressed in Roman numerals, are so obviously different, my assumption
has been that the error arose at some time after Hindu-Arabic numerals
came into common use in inland southern Italy.  Since that happened in
the later Middle Ages and since the report of the inscription/legend is
no earlier than the last decade of the seventeenth century, that leaves
a lot of time for the putative error to have arisen and to have
established itself in whatever document (probably a chronotaxis of
bishops of Conza) was used for the datum in question.

Best again,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]