On Sunday, August 13, 2006, at 8:29 pm, I wrote, apropos Hippolytus of Rome:

> <SNIP>.  The author of the _Passio sancti Polycronii_
> (first version, late fifth-century?) used this date for the _dies
> natalis_ of the martyr H. drawn to death by wild horses in the legends
> of St. Lawrence (d. 258).  From at least this point onward, confusion
> between that H. (already memorably celebrated by Prudentius in
> _Peristephanon_, 11) and the H. now celebrated today was rampant.

I was compressing too much here.  The H. of Prudentius, _Peristephanon_,
11 is already a composite of the H. the former schismatic and and H. the
martyr torn to pieces while being dragged by wild horses (a painting of
whose torment P. claims in the poem to describe).  The _Passio s.
Polycronii_ makes H. a soldier converted by Lawrence (d. 258,
supposedly), gives him a nurse (Concordia) who also becomes a martyr,
and has him meet his end in the manner described by Prudentius.

and, apropos Cassian of Imola:

> <SNIP>  According to this
> account, C. was a teacher who endured a slow and painful martyrdom of
> his non-Christian students who stabbed him repeatedly with their
> styluses.

That is, a martyrdom _at the hands_ of his non-Christian students.
Apologies for any puzzlement caused by this omission.

> By the sixteenth century the Roman church was celebrating on this
> day a joint feast of Hippolytus of Rome and Cassian of Imola.

Herewith three examples of medieval churches now dedicated to Saints
Hippolytus and Cassian:

At Umbertide (PG) in Umbria:
http://tinyurl.com/s2vbr
http://tinyurl.com/3qsor

At Colle di Val d'Elsa (SI) in Tuscany:
http://tinyurl.com/qfeeu

At Gaione (PR) in Emilia (recently restored):
http://tinyurl.com/fvy5f
http://turismo.parma.it/allegato.asp?ID=119555
http://turismo.parma.it/allegato.asp?ID=208192
http://turismo.parma.it/allegato.asp?ID=208191

These may once have been dedicated to Cassian alone, as were medieval
predecessors of today's churches with this double dedication at Pieve di
Saliceto, a _frazione_ of Pontremoli (MS) in Tuscany and at Vanzago (MI)
in Lombardy.  But which Cassian?  There were several and, in Umbria at
least, Cassian of Todi is also a possibility.  The original dedicatee of
the fortified abbey of San Cassiano at Narni (TR), to give another
Umbrian example, is unknown:
http://www.ternionline.net/itg.narni/S.Cassiano/foto.htm

The church at Settimo (PI) in Tuscany identified here as that of
Santi Cassiano e Giovanni (don't miss the detail views at the foot of
the page):
http://www.stilepisano.it/immagini/Pisa_Pieve_di_San_Cassiano.htm
is also known in the scholarly literature as that of Santi Ippolito e
Cassiano or, more simply, as San Cassiano.

Finally, another dedication to C. worth having a look at is the
twelfth-century abbey church of San Cassiano at Valbagnola, a _frazione_
of Fabriano in the Marche:
http://www.fabrianostorica.it/abbazie/sancassiano.htm
http://www.guanciarossa.it/leviedellafede/scassian.htm
http://www.cadnet.marche.it/fabriano/cassiano.html