On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Sarah Taylor wrote:

> Please forgive me for what I am sure is a ludicrous question,
> but is there any particular reason why we can't think of an
> institutional repository - i.e. the same institutional
> repository - as being a mechanism for both preservation AND for
> maximising access to research? Why must we have one for one
> purpose and one for another? Surely these two intended
> functions of an IR can complement one another?

Sarah,

From my point of view, the problem is one of vocabulary. We are
in the process of setting up all of our digital preservation
mechanisms here, and we are having a tough time agreeing on the
difference between storage for the purpose of maximizing access
to scholarly research and output (which I have been calling
institutional repository) and storage of, say, scanned images to
be used in an art class. Many librarians I've met recently, not
just at my university, have been calling all digital storage
"institutional repository" -- that is, the repository you have at
your institution is your institutional repository.

Moreover, we are having some dilemma over whether or not faculty
research that they want locked up so nobody can see it is
something that belongs in an institutional repository. I would
argue it doesn't, but at my institution I think my opinion is in
the minority.

While it may seem silly to worry so much about the vocabulary,
the fact is that institutional repository as a phrase, as opposed
to is a concept, is a big buzzword in universities right now. I
have definitely got the go-ahead to work on an institutional
repository, but what that actually means is a very different
question.

Just my two cents,

-Deborah
--