On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 01:06:11PM +0100, Steve Traylen wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:47:19AM +0100 or thereabouts, Kostas Georgiou wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:15:07AM +0100, Graeme Stewart wrote:
> >
> > > Not actually used it, but I have haven't heard of any show stoppers.
> > >
> > > I have heard of people using the 32bit SL3 build under SL4 with
> > > minimal problems - you need to push a few necessary SL3 packages onto
> > > the SL4 machine. This is currently our plan for DPM at Glasgow -
> > > certainly to run the disk pools with SL43.
> >
> > I would really really really prefer not to install any RHEL3/SL3 rpms
> > in my RHEL4 systems ;P so it seems that I'll have to build it on my
> > own.
> >
> > > I don't know of anyone actually having built it natively for SL4 or
> > > RHEL4, but I'm sure the gLite team would be delighted if you tried...
> > > and ecstatic if you succeed.
> > >
> > > Which reminds me that the page I started here, http://
> > > www.gridpp.ac.uk/wiki/Building_DPM, is out of date. DPM is (has?)
> > > been integrated into the main gLite build system. Probably worth
> > > dropping a line to [log in to unmask] if you wanted to build it
> > > from scratch.
> >
> > I would prefer to start from the source rpms but I can not find anything
> > yet anywhere so it seems that I'll have to start from the sources and
> > create the source rpms on my own :(
>

> Starting here.
>
> https://uimon.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/ETICS/WebHome
>
> I found
>
> http://etics.web.cern.ch/etics/services/service_build_and_test.html
>
> which has a  "Linux SLC 4.0 x86_64 Continuous Integration Server" in the gLite
> server which takes you to
>
> http://lxb5588.cern.ch:8080/etics/

Thanks this looks interesting and it's going to be usefull.

Of course they don't have links to the source as far as I can tell, the build fails
and errors like the following show that they are far far away from providing something
remotely usefull since the build tools can not even detect what os and arch they are
building the rpms for.
os.detect:
[echo] Detected platform: slc3
[echo] Binary compatible platform: slc3_ia32_gcc323
 [exec] LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/home/glbuild/CC_WORK/checkouts/repository/externals/globus/4.0.1-VDT-1.3.11/slc3_ia32_gcc
23/lib'
[exec] cc -o dpm-addfs dpm-addfs.o -L../lib -ldpm -L/home/glbuild/CC_WORK/checkouts/repository/externals/globus/4
0.1-VDT-1.3.11/slc3_ia32_gcc323/lib -lglobus_gssapi_gsi_gcc64dbgpthr -lglobus_gss_assist_gcc64dbgpthr -ldl
[exec] /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lglobus_gssapi_gsi_gcc64dbgpthr
[exec] collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

At the moment I am looking at building the nordugrid globus source rpms for RHEL4 x86_64 since they seem
to be a lot more sensible than the VDT fake rpms that glite is using. After that building voms/dpm should
be fairly easy.

Cheers,
Kostas