At the last Sicily conference on EBHC there were a number of veterinary students and practitioners from the US - they felt there was a considerable difference in evidence-based treatments of their patients and non-evidence based ones.  :-)

Amanda

________________________________

From: Evidence based health (EBH) on behalf of Moacyr Roberto Cuce Nobre
Sent: Mon 8/14/2006 12:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Commentary About EBM from Peru.

Dear Diana,

I think that so many physicians also do not have background to practice EBM, and
to do critical appraisal. A kind of functional illiteracy, since they do not
have the ability to discriminate between information and evidence.

Also the patients values and preferences may be related with their "feelings"
and personal relationship, and not with their knowledge.

I do not believe that EBM would be succeeded if Sackett and co-workers did not
have faced the functional illiteracy that affects 15-30% of england and
north-american people.

Cheers
--
Moacyr
__________________________

Citando Diana Rodríguez Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>:

 Dear Colleagues:
 About EBM, I am defender of EBM, but in the topic about Patient values and
 preferences in order to involve the patients in the decision making process, I
 have a commentary :
 Don´t you think that sometimes you can find barriers for example in developing
 countries? Example, when you are in front a patient who is analphabet or that
 belong to ethnic group whose lexicon we don´t know, with the risk that the
 patient take an erroneous decision by ignorance.
 Some day I had listened:
 "A man who is not informed, he can not have opinion, and a man who has not
 opinion, he can not take decision" .
 I would like to receive your answers.
 Sincerely.

 Diana Rodriguez M.D.
 Associate Professor Faculty of Medicine "Universidad Peruana Cayetano
 Heredia".
 Master in Clinical Epidemiology.
 Member of INCLEN (International Clinical Epidemiology Network).
 Lima ,         PERU.
 e-mail          [log in to unmask]