Dear List members

I have just been emailed and informed of the sad loss of Jo Campling by
Colin Barnes.

When I studied at University within Community,Youth and Social Work I
remember reading her books and was greatly influenced by her work and her
'spirit' in support of the the disabled people's movement.

As Colin Barnes states below in his email and I agreed fully; 'A truly
remarkable woman Jo will be sorely missed by everyone that knew her'.

I nevaer had the pleasure of ever meeting Jo, but did anyone else ever meet
her and can tell us their own stories in meeting her and more abou this
remarkable 'strong' women?

God-Bless to all her family, friends and everyone who has been effected by
her death.

My thoughts are with you all.

Yours

Colin Revell.... See Colin Barnes email below.....

It is with the deepest regret that I have to report the loss of Jo Campling
who died yesterday after several months living with cancer. Jo was one of
the disabled people's movement's earliest and staunchest allies and
supporters.

She was especially influential in her own writing and also behind the scenes
by bringing the work of disability activists and scholars to the fore
through her involvement with organisations such as RADAR, the British
Association of Social Work (BASW) and publishers Virago, Macmillan and the
Policy Press.

Her first two publications: 'Better Lives for Disabled Women' (1979) and
'Images of Ourselves; women with disabilities talking' (1981) provide a
clear and accessible insight how disabled women were and remain
economically, politically and socially disadvantaged in contemporary
society.

'Better Lives' contains 11 short chapters covering many aspects of disabled
women's lives including sexuality, motherhood and employment. 'Images of
Ourselves' is as the tile suggests the unedited experiences of twenty four
disabled women of various ages with a variety of impairments.

In 1981 she organised a conference for the BASW and Central Council on the
Education and Training of Social Work (CCETSW) entitled 'The Handicapped
Person: a new perspective for social workers' with contributions from now
familiar disabled activists and writers such as Merry Cross, Micheline
Mason, Frankie Raiher, Pat Rock, and Mike Oliver which ushered in what we
now know as the social model of disability.

All of the above are as relevant today when they were first published. I am
pleased and proud to say that thanks to Jo, that they are all freely
available on the Disability Archive UK
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies/archiveuk/index.html

A truly remarkable woman Jo will be sorely missed by everyone that knew her.

Colin Barnes

http://join.msn.com/toolbar/overview

This Disability-Research Discussion list is managed by the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds (www.leeds.ac.uk/disability-studies). Enquiries about the list administratione should be sent to [log in to unmask]
Archives and tools are located at: