On the other hand I don't think we should forget that the practice of tithing in the Christian church has a very long tradition which some denominations keep up and not just in principle. Giving one tenth of one's income (in whatever form) is a substantial commitment. Without some degree of reciprocity of exchange one or the other parties to the spiritual/magical contract could feel dissatisfied at some level. Re. spells - many years ago I was asked by an Iranian princess to do a spell for her. She insisted on paying so I suggested £5.00. She said I insulted her so I suggested £50.00. This was acceptable but from her point of view the spell failed. I offered her her money back. Again she said she was insulted and would have paid up to £500.00!  As Dave says it is a complicated business with no consensus about the relationship between service, reward and amount of profit accruing, if any.

With neo-shamanism I think the problem arises not with the examples Sabina or Caelum provide but with the number of `micky mouse' outfits advertising in the classified section of various magazines. Without knowledge by repute the potential punter may lack the discernment necessary to distinguish the `wheat from the chaff'.

Ken

"Chas S. Clifton" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On 20 Aug,06, at 1:58 PM, Sabina Magliocco wrote:

> 1) Why and how did the prejudice towards money/ spirituality
> develop in the West? and

I will hazard a totally unsupported opinion that it is a cultural echo
of the Protestant Reformation--the condemnation of the selling
of indulgences and so forth.

Chas
"Letter from Hardscrabble Creek" -- a Pagan writer's blog
http://www.chasclifton.com/blogger.html