From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic on behalf of Amy Hale
Sent: Sat 19/08/2006 22:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] This List's Purview (Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Reclaiming (was Definitions of Magic)

I think there are actually a number of ways to approach this. It's
perfectly possible to have a good discussion about why people do what
they do and to bring in a personal perspective, as long as that
discussion is conducted academically.  I think that a comparative
discussion on the ethics of charging for magical tuition or services
is very useful, as standards vary so widly according to culture and
tradition.  Looking at how contemporary magical groups form ethical
guidelines around money and magic is absolutely relevant here. I think
what we need to keep in mind is how we might best and most usefully
frame the comments to keep within the academic remit of the list.   It
is probably best to present your personal experiences with this topic
by framing them in the context of ethnographic or historic data.

In short, this is not a forum for slagging off other groups or
asserting the superiority of a particular magical system or
perspective. It's fine to be a practitioner and an academic, but this
is a list for academic discourse and resources.

Cheers!
Amy
(one of the list mods)

Amy Hale, PhD