----Original Message Follows----

Since iconography is my interest (if NOT my area of expertise), I'd be
curious to know why this image has "Enormously provocative iconography." I'm
not disputing the fact, merely expressing an interest in the opinion.
Best, MG

-------

Well, this is a statement that comes from someone (me) who is interested in
royal sanctity (hence the Louis IX bit) and who's even more interested in
(and has taught a course in) in political iconography.  It seems to me that
the iconography plays with and melds the legitimizing category of sanctity
with that of kingship - Louis of Toulouse (who abdicated it) is crowned by
an angel (=sanctity) and he himself gives his crown (royal) to Robert, whose
own person is thus imbued by Louis Toulouse' sanctity. Of course, this is
all resolved by the idea of Christ, both royal and holy.  Maybe provocative
isn't the right word. Maybe just "very interesting".

cecilia

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]