thanks! i hope you get to go to Brazil as well - teh UK is really good for travelling (it both urges you to go & offers some really good deals!)

in best ethos
eugenia :  )

On 7/24/06, Lawrence Upton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear Eugenia

>How come i feel challenged but not threatened by you

It's probably my innate niceness

>If you have a theory, please share it.

Nothing over-arching.

>Could ethos be described as "principles and aims/aspirations expressed through politics"?

I need to think on that

>Abstraction does not mean denial.

Agreed

> I see no difference at the ethical" Is that true? Farmers have the same ethics that bank officers have?

Yes, I believe so

> don't demonise computers

I never would

>Then choose your politics.

Is that possible?

>Would you say marching is habitual for you? No more?

Erm...I have little faith in party politics. I have been elected to regional office in unions and found that ... er... dodgy; and concentrated on casework

The one thing I can do is to march and - yes - be seen. In the last several days I have heard 2 members of the great and good, one of them the Archbishop of Canterbury, use the formula "I think we are all agreed that..." and marching puts the lie to that

 politics and diplomacy are different... I don't like diplomacy, not at the level of the state

>hat is "bedraggled"? Dictionary.com said "wet,limp"...?
That's it. I was bedraggled after I had walked in hot sun and rain through the centre of London. I went fell (small mountain) walking recently and was bedraggled. I walked from Thessaloniki towards Athens (and kept being "saved" by farmers insisting on driving me) and then I was bedraggled. In fact, I tend to be bedraggled much of the time. My computer is bedraggled. Do you know the children's animation _Bagpuss_?

>nd, alas, i must get to work now once more. It is pretty hot here in Athens. In 2 days I'll be in Budapest & in 3 in Warsaw - they tell me it might be hotter there though... where are you based & how is teh weather there?
Warsaw can be very hot

I am presently on the southern edge of London. Next week I shall be in Penwith - St Ives, near Lands End... and then a few miles from here nursing a sick cat while his owners have some respite... I had been hoping to be in Brazil in 3 weeks, but don't have the money

Have a good trip

"And the sky can still fall on our heads. And the theater has been created to teach us that first of all."
             -- Antonin Artaud, "No More Masterpieces," 1938. ********** * Visit the Writing and the Digital Life blog http://www.hum.dmu.ac.uk/blogs/wdl/ * To alter your subscription settings on this list, log on to Subscriber's Corner at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/writing-and-the-digital-life.html * To unsubscribe from the list, email [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and the following text in the body of the message: SIGNOFF WRITING-AND-THE-DIGITAL-LIFE