Dear TLT Colleagues
I have been subscribed to this list for some time and always find the discussions useful. I am currently managing a JISC project looking at IPR in e-learning materials and digital repositories - the TrustDR project, wesite at: http://www.uhi.ac.uk/lis/projects/trustdr

I believe the Penninsula medical school in the South West are doing this and Paul Russel (I think) would be the person to contact on this.

For the sake of my project I wonder if I could take a straw poll from this list and ask 2 related questions to this subject:

1. Are you aware that lecturers have 'performance rights' over their lectures independant of their employment contracts - and may withold them? and do you ask or plan to ask their permissions?

2. To manage the recorded lectures and get any advice about rights in the associated content materials such lecture notes do you involve your librarians  (who have an interest and training to help you in this area)?

If you want to reply to me direct that is fine - I shall anonymise any comments - I suspect I know the answers!

This email does not constitute legal advice etc.

Cheers
John

John Casey
Learning Materials Manager
TrustDR JISC Project Manager
UHI Millennium Institute
Room 145, Perth College, Perth, PH1 2NX,
Scotland
UK

e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel: 01738 877213
Mob: 07796930031
Fax:

>>> "AJ Ramsden, Learning and Research Technology"              <[log in to unmask]> 07/12/06 1:29 pm >>>
Dear Paul,

Not sure how helpful the following is, but I'm looking at a slightly different approach at Bristol. I'm tackling the need to provide software that is flexible enough to handle the different requirements in the way that lecturers, lecture, in terms of approach, style, lecture space, numbers, interactivity, do they need video or will a simple screencast do? etc., Plus the different delivery methods, i.e., web based, podcasting.

I feel that we've not really thought about our needs enough, and engaged the lecturers to favour a large scale deployment at this stage. As we are just starting on this journey.

So at the moment for those that don't use powerpoints, and develop lots of solutions (for instance, Science, Engineering) I'm experimenting with a tablet pc, annotation software, and camtasia, clip mics etc., and releasing the movie for the web (flash) or podcast (mpeg4).

Camtasia has a ppt add-on so people could simply present and show, and it then captures the output.

It seems very straight forward with respect to the academic, and seems to meet their needs. I'll probably push this model for a while, and run it for the next academic year across a number of faculties.

It is probably not the medium term solution, given the pricing model, however, I feel it will allow us to start thinking about what we (staff, students) actually want.

If people want to find out more then see the following blog, includes descriptions - worts and all.

<http://www.mobile-learning.blog-city.com/read/podcasting.htm>

Cheers

Andy

--On 12 July 2006 10:45 +0100 Paul Burt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am interested to find out if there are any UK HEIs who have explored (or even implemented) automated or semi-automated systems for recording lectures.
>
> The kind of systems I am talking about are:
>   * http://www.apreso.com/
>   * http://www.tegrity.com/
>   * http://www.autoauditorium.com/
>   * http://ilectures.uwa.edu.au/
>
> Anybody already doing something in this area?
>
> Thanks in advance for any input.
>
> Paul
>

> Paul Burt
> E-learning Development Adviser