Testbed Support for GridPP member institutes
> [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dr D J Colling said:
> I have been doing some more testing and don't understand the
> results ... I
> am sure that people who understand storage will say "of
> course it is like
> that because..." and I apologise if I am asking numpty questions.

If a numpty is anyone who doesn't understand the detailed internals of
networks, gridftp, srm, dpm, dcache and FTS I suspect there are a lot of
numpties around!

  One question I have to anyone who knows about srmcp: does it vary the
number of gridftp channels by file size? If a small file uses one and a
big file more then maybe the latter gets hit by a firewall block and the
former doesn't? It might also depend on which of the random globus ports
gets picked.

> could not glite-transfer-submit to accept a file://// (why
> the 4 slashes?)

You should be able to get away with three, or maybe even one, but two
probably doesn't work: formally a URL looks like
scheme://host/some/path, but for file: you obviously omit the host, and
in that case I think the leading // is also optional, but if you say
file://tmp/qq it parses tmp as a host name.

> I guess that this means that there is no channel between
> Brunel and IC ...
> but in that case how did it manage to copy it the other way?

Channels are defined to be one way only.

> Why cannot everything be a intuitive as workload management ;-)

!

Stephen