From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Philip Mostmans
Sent: donderdag 6 juli 2006 19:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Nenthead mining complex and region research

I know a detailed survey about the VM works would come in handy. There is
not much done on the matter, thats probably why the archaeologists on site
asked me to do it.

I contacted the Umicore factories (succesor of the VM), they told me that
the geology dep. of the university of Liege (Luik) had all the archives (of
all the mines in all of europe). When I arrived there, it appeared so that
only the account books survived from +/- 1934-1938. A detailed account of
the ores and costs were written down as part of a financial report from the
UK to the company seat in Liege itself.

The mines mentioned were mainly Scraithole, Rotherhope fell & Nentsberyy
Haggs. Also abandonment plans of these mines were available. Howevber this
is the only information I was able to get. These were the only references of
the VM still available there. I can try several record offices, but I have
no high hope...
I would appreciate greatly other people that would like to share the
information they have. If wanted I can give the info I got about the VM in
exchange.

Kind Regards,

Philip Mostmans
Katholic University of Leuven