With apologies for cross-posting

Call for Papers for the International Medieval Congress, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI

10-13 May 2007

The Centre for Medieval Studies, University of York, sponsors two sessions on:

The Exeter Christ Revisited

Twenty years ago, George Hardin Brown wrote that the “composite art” of Old English religious poetry, specifically the Exeter Christ I poem, is “marvellous, even miraculous” in its ability to capture and express difficult and “paradoxical” Christian doctrine.

This session solicits papers on all aspects of the Exeter Christ poems (Christ I, II, III). In particular we welcome papers which build on the tradition of those how have sought to interpret the Christ poems via axes of doctrinal, philosophical, aesthetic, stylistic and figural interest. We also encourage papers which treat the manuscript context of the Christ poems.

Papers are welcomed on any one of the three Christ poems, but we also seek papers which regard the effect of the three poems as a ‘composite’ whole and study connections of language and theme across the three. Can we read the Exeter Christ as an intellectual whole? If so, why has it generated far less scholarly interest than Beowulf? These sessions aim to provide a forum in which the discussion of the Exeter Christ is furthered and the appreciation of the poems fostered.

Please send abstracts by 10 September 2006 via email to either of the organisers:

Carolin Esser [log in to unmask]

or

Bruce Gilchrist [log in to unmask]