This is very interesting…is this figure commonly misidentified then? The illustration I originally saw was in  The British Library guide to manuscript illumination : history and techniques / Christopher De Hamel and the Web page illustration repeated that. That seems a rather egregious error from the BL.  Also, the possibility of the figure being Carmelite occurred to me, but that habit looked dead black to me; but I suppose it’s another lesson in the unreliability of reproducing color.

best,

JBW

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Chandler
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 7:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Summer mystery

John, your man is not Vincent of Beauvais, but Thomas Netter of Walden (ca. 1375-1430), who is wearing a Carmelite habit because he is a Carmelite. The very fetching colour scheme is more or less the reverse of the Dominican, brown habit and white cloak (hence "Whitefriars" in England) instead of white habit and black cloak ("Blackfriars"). -- Paul Chandler, who has an outfit like that.
=========
Paul Chandler, O.Carm.  |  Carmelite Library
214 Richardson Street  |  Middle Park Vic 3206  |  Australia
tel: (03) 9682 8553  |  fax: (03) 9699 1944  |  [log in to unmask]  |  www.carmelitelibrary.org