Dear Marjorie, that is an interesting suggestion. The problem with it though is that the priestly figure is carrying a crosier...always Benedict's iconographic element, and he is usually shown carrying it throughout the MS. There is a similar illustration later in the MS which shows Maurus dressed in a priestly stole (after he becomes abbot in his own right); yet in the sources he is described as a deacon.

best,

JBW

-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Marjorie Greene
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 7:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Saint Benedict as priest

Dear John,

I'm going to stick my neck out and ask some questions. Are you sure the man

in very clerical garb isn't a bishop (he appears to be anointing the

novice)? At the period in question, was there the novitiate/temporary

vows/solemn profession distinction there is today? If this depicts a solemn

profession, the bishop may have been the one to do the anointing and

receiving of vows. Could the man standing behind the candidate ready to slip

a garment over his head be Saint Benedict? I've been to so many professions

of various sorts that I can't keep straight who does what when. And what is

done today is irrelevant; what you need to know is what was done at the time

of your ms. I do know for sure that today the abbot is the one who clothes

the candidate for profession. Hence my query about the possibility that

Saint Ben is the one holding the garment behind the guy, and not the one in

the chasuble and stole.

Just some thoughts... Let us know what you figure out.

MG

(p.s. There are Benedictines on this list. Where are you?)

to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]