Sorry, I did not see the metal "pipe" beneath the lecturn.  It is a
swivel, not a crank.  Note it's relagionship to the reader.  The
swivel is pointed towards him and the lecturn sets over his legs to
bring it closer to him.  He will push it to one side so he can get up.
 As for the object in his hand, it is a pointer.  Some old synagogues
in the east still have such an item on the bima.  It appears to have
been a common item in places where things were read, such as
libraries, churches, etc.   It is called a "yad" (hebrew)or hand.
 Fancy ones have a little hand carved on the pointing end of it with
the index finger pointing forward. The reader is pointing his way
along, word for word as he reads the text.  Shalom. tom ault