I have been away for a few days and have some suggestions and comments on a
number of the statements made:

1) When pursuing ecclesiastical cases, the bishop could, indeed, use royal
support .  See FD Logan, Excommunication and the Secular Arm in Medieval
England (Toronto, 1968)

2) Bishops were both ecclesiastical and secular lords but their courts were
separate and their officers had different titles, even if, on occasions,
they were the same people

3) It was not the bishop's 'suffragans' who held courts in the bishop's
absence.  A suffragan was a man in episcopal orders employed to carry out
duties only a bishop could do (ordination, reconciliation of churches
polluted by bloodshed, etc).  I have seen instances of suffragans witnessing
ecclesiastical trials but never of them presiding.  It was the bishop's
officials, usually the 'Official Principal', sometimes a 'Commissary' or
'Commissary General' who presided over the consistory court.  The Vicar
General (sometimes the same man as the Official Principal) and.Commissaries
also presided over the bishop's court of audience in his absence.  See A
Hamilton Thompson, The English Clergy in the Later Middle Ages (OUP, 1947) -
including extracts from Bishop Alnwick of Lincoln's court book.

4) Consistory courts were certainly held in Norwich cathedral, although the
heresy trials of 1428-31 were almost all held in the chapel of the bishop's
palace (Heresy Trials in the Diocese of Norwich, 1428-31, Ed. NP Tanner,
Camden, 4th Series, vol 20 (1977)).  By contrast, the officials of the same
bishop (William Alnwick) held almost all the recorded sessions of his court
of audience in Lincoln within that cathedral.  Many of the canons were, of
course, also episcopal officials, which blurs the division between bishop
and cathedral

5)  None of this answers the question about prisons..There is some evidence
from the Norwich heresy trials.  Two heretics were sentenced to 7 years
imprisonment, one in Langley Abbey and another in a place to be decided
(Tanner, p56, 63), one was brought to trial from the royal gaol of Norwich
Castle (p51-2).  References to imprisonment without specific places being
named are pp 105, 139, 145, 152, 157, 182, 185.  I get the impression that
they were probably arrested by secular authorities.  However, one was
arrested on the authority of the bishop and 'sub custodia carcerali in
palacio [i.e. the bp's] Norwic' aliquamdiu detentus' (p 200), another was
held in the bp's custody (211), another two (one of them certainly in the
bishop's palace) were detained by  the vicar general (212-3).  I seem to
remember seeing a reference in Norwich Cathedral records to a Lollard who
hanged himself while in the custody of the cathedral priory but cannot find
the reference now.  For what it's worth, my impression is that the bishops
had the ability to imprison people for relatively short times when awaiting
trial.  Ecclesiastical punishments usually involved penances of ritual
beatings and walking with tapers, etc or offerings to shrines or lights.
Imprisonment was not common as a punishment after sentence.  It is probably
for this reason that a location away from the bishop's own property, such as
Langley Abbey, might have been chosen for a long-term imprisonment.   Does
this make sense?

Best wishes
Rosemary Hayes