.. but most bishops doubled up as secular landlords, and thus had some
responsibility for secular justice on their lands. And 'church' law
included such issues as adultery among commoners. At least that's my
impression.

As I see it (and don't count out my being way off beam here), all
landowning institutions - bishops or secular chapters or monastic houses
- had some legal powers, usually relating directly to tenancy matters;
some had powers that went much further, the furthest extremes being the
bishoprics of Ely and Durham where there were very little secular or
ecclesiastical judicial power was beyond the church's reach.

Bishops prisons seem quite often to be part of bishop's palaces, often
in an area adjacent to their cathedral church. One of the bishop's
suffragans often worked almost full time as a judge. And the bishop's
consistory court was very often in the church itself, though the precise
location often seems unclear. A post-Reformation example survives under
the south west tower at Chester; the bosses in the Bauchun chapel in the
east end of Norwich are on a Marian/judicial theme and the court was
held beneath them, I understand; the north-west chapel at Exeter
likewise. I don't know of any other pre-Reformation examples that have
been 'pinned down'.

Jon