Jessica Boon wrote:
> 'I have seen the nails arranged in such a fashion, I believe (on the
frontispiece of an early printed book).  Is there a chance the A with a
line on the top is the nails, and the others are actual letters?'

She's right. Three nails arranged in an 'A'-like pattern is a feature of
several - perhaps many - Instruments of the Passion in West Country
woodwork.

And it's not at all unusual to see Instruments repeated among different
bench ends (and I presume screens) with subtle variations thereof.

The idea that the arrangements of nails might be spelling something is
intriguing: I've certainly not come across this being done. I can think
of late med Cornish initials - churchwardens, etc - and one long
inscription in stone (on St Mary Mag Launceston) but that's about as far
as it goes. Intriguing prospect. As for the blank shield and the dragon,
I wouldn't read too much into it bar jobbing carpenters with space to
fill.

But I recall changing direction abruptly re your seahorse once I'd
actually *seen* it, so do get a pic online if you can.

Better still, I'm in Cornwall for a week from 6 August, and our previous
discussions have whetted my appetite for St Buryan and area. If you are
interested in the idea of one list member seeing these things in the
flesh, do get in touch off-line! Can't promise anything, but potentially
interested.

Jon