Jim Bugslag wrote:

>>> From what date would this feast have been celebrated in the Hereford
>>> Calendar?
>>
>> There is probably no way of telling - there seem to be very few
>> Hereford service books: we are lucky to have the printed Missal and
>> Breviary.
>>
>> Frere dates the introduction of the feast to 1383 for the Sarum
>> Calendar - which is probably too early for R.W. Pfaff's New
>> Liturgical Feasts in Later Medieval England (1970)
>
> It is because I am reading Pfaff right now that I asked.  He claims
> that the feast of St Anne was instituted in 1383 and characterizes
> this as one of the "milestones" by which later medieval English
> calendars are sometimes dated.  This surprised me, as
> I have also read that devotion to St Anne was relatively precocious
> in England, dating back at least to the 12th century.  But perhaps
> "devotion" in general does not always develop into a formalized feast.

I have the sensation  that you are probing the limits of my ignorance again!

I'm not sure that I can add much.  The date doesn't seem to be mentioned in
the Golden Legend (1260).  Does it appear in late Benedictine Calendars?  If
so, perhaps it is worth consulting:

English Benedictine Kalendars after A.D. 1100. Edited by Francis Wormald, 2
vols, HBS 77 & 81.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]