Chris Crockett wrote: 'there is no such Pivital Moment in the History of
Art.'

There is in England. It's called the Reformation. And as far as I'm
concerned if we're going for 'the Renaissance started on January 10
1409'-type exercises (I honestly read that sentence, or something very
close to it, in a textbook as an undergrad), that's where 'medieval'
ends - not 1485.

Yet it's also right that the Reformation was a very medieval moment. It
was a church reform movement led by the king and the Ardship Cambry -
nothing new there. Tensions between king and church not new either.
Neither was the dissolving of monastic houses, though not quite that
radically.... nor the methods used: Visitation, etc... . Converting all
those monastic cathedrals to secular ones merely put right a historic
aberration that itself could be said to mark the transition from 'Dark
Ages' to 'Medieval' in England... but that's another topic!

The dividing line between Italian Renaissance and other c15 art forms I
have never quite 'got'. It is a late medieval 'national' style (the
'national' style of a handful of Italian city-states), like so many
others. Its works of art are altarpieces, reredoses, all the stuff we
discuss. It's wonderful, and extraordinary in its implications for all
kinds of reasons, but it's still one of many varieties of late medieval
religious art....

Phew. Two hobby horses ridden. Or perhaps several, none properly broken
in and all likely to run off in directions I'd regret. Curses - metaphor
took over again...

Jon