I am unsure exactly when the motiff appears, but I am interested in the
question of headgear, especially on the Father.  There is a Trinity
statue (French, possibly 13th century) in the Art Institute, Chicago
with the Father wearing a papal tiara.  The Walters Art Museum here in
Baltimore has one with the Father wearing a crown, probably modelled on
a French royal crown.  The Massaccio fresco of the Trinity at Santa
Maria Novella shows on a halo on the Father.

A search in Index of Christian Art might cast light on the larger
motif.

Tom Izbicki

Thomas Izbicki
Research Services Librarian
 and Gifts-in-Kind Officer
Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, MD 21218
(410)516-7173
fax (410)516-8399

>>> Catherine Gunn <[log in to unmask]> 07/25/06 12:28 PM >>>
medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

in discussing iconoclasm, Christopher wrote 'as with heresy, reading
what
the Opposition has to say is very helpful when trying to get an idea of
what
was the essence of that which was being Opposed.'

I've been trying to find out more about images of the Holy Trinity -
God the
father with the crucified Christ between his knees and the Holy Spirit
represented as a dove - which, it seems were the particular target of
iconoclasts during the Reformation in England. Such images, more than
others, seemed to be attempting to represent what could not be
represented.
There are very few - and none, I think, whole - left in this country.
There
was an image of the Holy Trinity in Norwich cathedral for which crowns
were
provided.

As a student of literature, I know very little about the history of art
- if
anyone could tell me anything, or point me in the right direction to
find
out about, the iconography and history of this image I would be
grateful.

with thanks, Cate

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]