John Wickstrom wrote:

> Yes, that is what I thought at first. But leopards in 11th c.
> Italy/France? I don't know.

The Arabs in Sicily & Spain would have had leopard skins, probably even
live leopards.  I don't see a problem with leopard skins as luxury
goods.  The feet of the skin incline more toward paws than hooves.  The
ears are pretty good for a cat.  You could look for other contemporary
ms images of leopards, bears, sheep, etc., & see if you have a more
likely candidate.

I suppose you could consider whether its person is riding sidesaddle &,
if so, if what looks like a body is the skin across the knees & the rear
hanging off the other side of the horse.

DW